March Inn

Why"March Inn?" March Inn was the name of that magic place where I spent my summers growing up. I have alluded to this place before, and I probably will again. March Inn is no longer standing. The waters of Katrina rendered it unlivable so my children will never know that "March Inn." That makes me sad. In fact it brings me to tears whenever I think about it. I want my children to have their own "March Inn," and I want to capture our lives as they are growing and changing. I invite you to "march inn" to our lives. My hope is that you will catch glimpses of the real world. You will see our creations. You will see our chaos. You will see our affection. You will also see our frustrations, fears, and disappointments. Enjoy your march!

Friday, October 1, 2010

Boosterthon!

Who knew this could be so much fun! What is it? It's called the Boosterthon Fun Run and it
is a fundraiser for schools. After a google search to find the website, I learned there is a fair bit of controversy over this event. Apparently some like it and some don't {isn't that true of anything?}, but best I can understand, they are able to raise a bunch money for your school, encourage exercises in a fun environment, and teach valuable character traits. Yes, they give out prizes and encourage competition but isn't that life! Yes, they keep a percentage, but what fundraising organization doesn't. Yes, they take up a bit of time in your child's classroom, but as a former classroom teacher let me tell you that there is always something going on that takes up teaching time in your classroom. Five minutes a day for five days plus a bit more time for the initial pep rally and the actual event is not so bad. Plus, I didn't have to buy anything nor did I have to go door to door selling anything.



We left it up to Mary Frances. She could call who she wanted to call to ask for support and we could knock on the doors she wanted to knock on, but she had to do the asking. The Boosterthon does encourage the children to get sponsors for a dollar amount per lap {25-35 laps}, but there is a place where you can also make a flat donation. I encouraged Mary Frances to eagerly accept a flat donation. We did not emphasize the prizes or the competition of getting money. Instead we focused on raising money to support her school in order to buy things such as books...

In my eyes, five dollars to the school is more than they had before! Though I graduated from a private school, I am a strong believer in public education, and I am going to try to support my children's school in anyway that I can especially during the current time of proration where state classroom money was cut to $0. My small donation to the school for the Boosterthon is certainly more economical than shelling out thousands of dollars for private school tuition, and it is providing valuable curriculum materials for these students.


It helps that we had a glorious fall day!

Sweet Pops came to support his granddaughter! Walker wanted to hold his hand the whole time which was pretty sweet.
Mary Frances had a smile on her face for the majority of the run! She completed 35 laps and kept going. Frank ascertained she ran 75% of those laps ~ not so shabby for a five year old. {I read somewhere that one lap = 1/16 of a mile.}

Once she had capped out at 35 laps, she wanted to keep running. Stephen wanted to go to!


Any suggestions on getting a picture of my three children where they are all happy and looking at the camera. These days it seems impossible!

No comments:

Post a Comment